Monday, August 13, 2012

The Moon is Down - The Hero?

Before I even read these summer reading books, I take a look at the questions that we have to answer about them. I kept in mind that I would have to pick out a hero in the book, so I prepared for that. I expected it to be right there. Normally, the heroes in these kinds of books are introduced immediately. They are normally the main characters of the books. Not this time.

As I read through The Moon is Down, looking for it's hero, I could not pick one out until the end. The one thing I noticed as I read was that there is not one single hero in this novel, but an entire group of heroes. I believe that a hero is a person who can make a difference and take a stand. The people of the town that was conquered fit that description. At the beginning of the book, the people of the town did not understand what war truly was. As soon as they realized that their freedom was being threatened, they fought back. They may not have all made plans to rebel, but they knew that they needed to think of something. "The people of the conquered country settled in a slow, silent, waiting revenge." (Steinbeck 57). They realized that something had to be done.

By the end of the novel, we see that these people are strong-willed. They know that they will not get their freedom back by sitting around and obeying their conquerors. They realize this, as well as their mayor. "If I tell them to fight, they will be sorry, but they will fight. If I tell them to fight, they will be glad, and I who am not a very brave man will have made them a little braver." (Steinbeck 110-111). The people of the town are determined. Their determination will lead them to their freedom, although we never got to know whether they did or no. Their qualities will get help them succeed. I respect them greatly for their courage.

Steinbeck, John. The Moon Is Down. New York: Penguin Classics, 1942. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment