Thursday, August 9, 2012

Fahrenheit 451 - Why I liked it so much.

As I was reading through Fahrenheit 451, I found myself getting more and more caught up into it. I could not understand why until I realized its genre. It is a dystopian future. Looking back at the books that I've read these past few years, a good number of them are dystopian future novels. The Hunger Games series for starters. I am obsessed with it, have been since it first came out. That is a great example of a dystopian future. I have also read books such as Divergent and the Maze Runner. These dystopian novels attract me because they are so different than other novels. Anything can happen in them! There are almost no boundries. I am also a person who believes strongly that things can not go right forever. Perfection leads to destruction to keep it short.

These books tend to have one or more people who want to rise up above these oppressive times and make a change, and I truly respect that. I am not a very rebellious individual, but when I read about people who want to make a change, it inspires me. Not that I'm going to rebel against things I do not enjoy, but I will make more of an effort to stand up for what I believe in. It may sound cheesy, but it is true. We live in a world where we are constantly monitored and must attempt to avoid being controlled by our parents, teachers, bosses, and most of all the pressure of peer conformity. They tell us to not draw negative attention by being someone or doing something that you aren’t supposed to. We are told to be what society tells us that we need to be. That's all great for some people, but for others, they want to be different. They want to live life the way they want to. Since they want to run their own lives, it inspires others to as well, including me. That's why I like it so much.

In the case of Fahrenheit 451, we see how Montag wants to rebel against everyone because they are ignorant to all forms of literature, knowledge, and opinion. He gets so passionate about it. I really admired his courage to go against what he thought was wrong with society, so it made me get sucked into the book. Being able to read about these kinds of characters just sparks interest in me, so it made the book very interesting to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment