Monday, August 6, 2012

Fahrenheit 451 - First Thoughts on the Novel

For once in my life, I find I am actually excited to read one the books required at school. I have been wanting to read Fahrenheit 451 for a very long time, but I never really got around to it. My sister said it was her favorite book to read during the summer going into her Junior year. I have read other stories by Ray bradbury and really enjoyed them. I think he has a firm grasp of what life is really like for the average person, and he has a beautiful way of communicating that.

Despite being excited to read this book, I'm also apprehensive. I haven't had the best of luck with the required reading before this point because I never enjoy reading them. I really hope that changes now.

I'm so glad this book is science-fiction and not about events that have already happened. If we had firemen today who burned books, I might just die. I'd probably be one of the people who secreted the illegal books away in a hole in the wall, only able to read in the dead of night when everyone else was asleep. It wouldn't last long though because I'm one of those people that can't keep a good book to herself. I would talk to people about the books I read and firemen like Guy Montag would come and burn my house down, books and all. I'd be locked up in prison without anything to read until I died from the sheer boredom of it all.

I think the thing that would scare me the most to live in a place like that would be that most of the people wouldn't know any better or different. Like in 1984, people would be rasied in an enviroinment where people didn't read books, they only burned them. They wouldn't even think to question it. It makes me wonder how corrupt their government would have to be in order to censor the poeple so much, and how blind the poeple would have to be to go along with it.

I'm sure I will really enjoy this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment