Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Moon is Down - Ending Thoughts

I honestly believed that I was going to hate this book. It is nothing that I would really want to read again for fun, but it had a good message behind it. I will go more into said message in another blog, but basically, it is trying to say that you cannot give up. Despite the book's depressing plot and equally upseting ending, I can definately say that the message was uplifting. Even though the soldiers who came were not exactly mean (they just wanted coal and fish), they did stir up a good deal of trouble in the town. They forced the people to work in the coal mines for them, and many of the people did not want to work. If you did not work, you were punished. It is as simple as that.

Even though I slightly enjoyed reading this book, I did find the plot to be not that great. It was not a really complex detailed story that most english books are about. Basically, the town was captured and people were not happy about it, so they started to rebel. The End. The characters were believeable, though, so I respected that. Many of them had flaws. For example, the mayor was not very brave, Alexander had a short-temper, and Annie got irritated easily. These flaws made the characters more realistic, which, in turn, made the story more enjoyable to read. In the end, my favorite thing about this book would have to be the dialogue. It just seems so realistic! I am a person who has to read aloud the things I read sometimes because it helps me understand them better. As I was reading this, I realized how easily the things they said came out of my mouth. It really seemed as though they were having a conversation, and it really helped me out during the whole "understanding" process of the book.

Overall, I really enjoyed the book because of its message, characters, and dialogue. It was fun to read once I got into it, and there was suspense that made me want to keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment