Thursday, August 9, 2012

Fahrenheit 451 - Ending Thoughts.

I really loved reading this book. I'm kind of shocked I haven't read it before now, it really is the kind of book that I would normally read. Part Three was exciting, but I have to say that Part Two was my favorite. Part Three had a lot of action, but to me the plot just kind of fizzled out when Guy ran away and joined the men on the train tracks. It bothers me that the men don't seem all that concerned with the books getting changed as they pass them down through storytelling. Things change drastically that way.  The books and words that they love so much and fought so hard for will change until they're barely recognizable anymore. I don't see how they can stand that. Their plan just seems like a messy solution to me. You would think they would care a little bit more, but nonetheless, at least the information is still there.

I was completely shocked when Montag killed Beatty. I didn't think he had it in him. Then to find out that the fire chief wanted to die. That really surprised me. He must have felt the same way that Mildred did, happy during the day while they were distracted, but so unhappy they couldn't stand it deep down inside them. They probably could not even notice their depression. Part Three seemed to be one surprise after the other. I never would have thought Mildred would have given up her parlor so easily, given that she thought of it like it was her "family". She showed absolutely no care for her husband as well. Guess that shows that you never know people as well as you think you do, especially in this twisted world they live in.

One of the reasons I liked this book so much was the author's use of imagery. I truly admire Ray Bradbury's way with words. One image that really stayed with me was when he compared the lights of the landing helicopters to the first snowflakes of winter. The use of similes like that really helped me to understand the story better, and it made the writing all the more beautiful. I'm really glad I chose this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment