Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Journal #41 - Heroes

Usually, when people think of heroes, they think of the muscular, be-caped, spandex wearing individual who swoops in and saves the day. I love those kinds of superheros. Superman, Spiderman, Batman... They are fun. However, even with the excitement of these kinds of heroes, I feel as though we need to recognize better those who are not super. Yesterday afternoon, there was a bombing in Boston, Massachusetts, at the end of the Boston Marathon. At the finish line, two bombs were exploded and then later another blew up at the John F. Kennedy Library. This kind of crime is awful. It really makes me question the future of mankind. Despite this, a lot of good deeds happened yesterday as well. Those who helped out. We can never thank enough the firemen, police, and medical technicians who are almost always there to save the day. They save lives on a daily basis, and do they get their own comic books? No. I am not saying that you have to have a comic book to be a hero. That is not what I am saying at all. I am just saying those who do step up to save the day, even if it is their job, are the real heroes. I also found out that a lot of the runners in the marathon ran straight to the hospital after they crossed the finish line in order to give blood to those who lost blood. That is the most amazing, beautiful thing I have ever heard. Those people were already exhausted. They ran twenty six miles for pete's sake! But, when they found out what had happened, they kept on running to help out. Where I heavily doubt the future of humanity due to people bombing social events for no reason, I also believe that there are still a lot of good people in the world. In the end, the good outnumber the bad, I suppose. The people like those policemen, firemen, medical technicians, and blood donating runners are the true heroes in the world - even though superheros with capes may seem to be a bit more entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment