Monday, November 26, 2012

Journal #18 - MAGNIFICENT CREATURE

As I pondered the multitude of eyes beaming at me from the magnificent creature, I ducked back behind the massive boulder I was currently taking refuge behind. The creature let out a roar of dissent as I disappeared from its vision. Even with ten shining eyes, burning with hatred, the beast could not locate me. Angered, the beast pawed and scratched at the ground around me. The ground rumbled and cracked under the pressure. This beast was incredibly large, reaching almost ten stories into the sky. How I was going to capture it, I did not know.  "I have to bring this creature down, or it will strike the village again!" With a shout of rage, I dashed from my hiding place, earning a new, more frightening roar from the massive beast. The cry pierced the air and I drew my sword from its sheath. Standing my ground only a few hundred feet from the creature, I lifted my sword, prepared to strike. Only for a moment, I was distracted by its eyes. I could not seem to shake them from my vision. I felt as if they should be filled with more fire, but they were not. They held a softer gaze, almost sympathetic... no, sad. I continued to prepare to strike, the beast dashing towards me. However, the agonized look in its eyes forced my sword to lower... and lower. This creature was mourning. What about, I had not the faintest clue, but I knew I had to find out. I could not fight the beast, knowing it was in such a condition. With a loud, echoing clank, my sword dropped to the ground and I held my shaking hand out to the beast. Confused, the large creature skidded in front of me. It must have realized that my weapons were no longer a threat to it. Making eye contact with the creature, I tried to search its eyes for the reason for its sadness. All I could think of was how it reminded me of the agonized, mournful gaze of a mother who had lost its child. What would I do if this beast were a mother? A mother searching for her lost child? I could only imagine what would have happened if I had taken down the beast. "I know not if you can understand me, you magnificent creature, but I will help you! I mean you no harm! I only wish to help you and ease you from that which burdens you so!" I cried out to the the skies in which the beast's head hovered. With a howl of agreement, the beast seemed to understand me. I grinned and tried to remember if I had seen anything in the past that could help me help the creature before me. With a sudden realization, I remembered seeing a similar set of eyes on a much smaller beast a few days before. It must be the creature's child! Promising the great beast that I would return, I fled to the village of my residence and spoke with the elders. After explaining to them what I aimed to achieve, they convinced the guards of the young creature to release it. The great gates of the cage spread wide and the beast bounded out of its captivity. I laughed to the skies as it ran to its mother. I hopped upon my steed and galloped alongside it as it gleefully bounded against its mothers body. Seeing the mother and child reunited, I could only sadly think of what would have happened if I had captured or killed the magnificent beast. It is amazing the affect that the emotions of eyes can have on your judgement. I would never forget the pain and sadness that settled among that majestic creature's eyes, but thankfully, the memory would forever be intertwined with the happiness I saw that formed once it was reunited with its young.

No comments:

Post a Comment