Monday, September 3, 2012

Journal #3 - Hostage Situation

I can imagine that in a hostage situation, I would not be able to keep my cool. It is a well known fact that while in a bad situation, you must keep calm so that you can think clearly. While picturing this potential hostage situation, I can only picture myself kicking and screaming to be free from whomever/whatever was holding me hostage.

However, there is also the slight possibility that I would be in complete control of the situation despite the fact that I was being held hostage. I would remember what I had been taught to do in that situation and stay calm. In fact, I would probably do what my captor least expected. I would talk to him/her/it. I would make small conversation. For example, lets say I was being held hostage and I noticed that my captor was very nervous about everything. Obviously, a newb at holding people hostage. Let's say that this person is male. Depending on how much I was restrained, I would mention how I noticed his nervousness.  This would probably cause him to get very defensive at first, but that would cause him to become unstable. They are showing weakness. They are not confident with their hostage-ing skills. I would then bring the conversation to where we discuss his home life and I would discover that he was only doing keeping me hostage because he needed the money. I would continue to prod him with questions until I discover that he has been so unsuccessful because no one believed in him as he grew up. No one gave him to confidence to go far in life. So, being the caring person that I am, I would convince the man that I believed that he could do anything. He would be so overwhelmed with happiness that someone believed in him, he would let me free. We would then skip happily with our arms linked out of wherever I was being kept and when questioned by the police, I would not press charges. 

With these two possible scenarios in mind, it is easy to see that it is better to stay calm, which is what I intend to do if I was placed into such a situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment