Thursday, September 6, 2012

Journal #5 - Proper 21st Century Punishment

I personally have never been grounded or had anything taken away from me. I really do not do much in the ways of bad behavior. That, or my parents are just really lenient. If I were to do something worth punishing, though, I agree with the video that we watched that certain electronic items should be taken away. I would absolutely hate having my phone taken away, my facebook rights taken away, or my video game/television privileges taken away. Though, I suppose punishments are not necessarily supposed to be enjoyed. Nowadays, children and teenagers cling to their electronics like lifelines. I admit to it myself. I am almost always on the computer, and where that is sad, it is the truth. If those privileges were taken away, I would not be happy, and I would certainly not do whatever I did to deserve that punishment again.

On another note, I did not agree with the video that parents should be able to friend and monitor their children online. Sure, I am friends with my parents on facebook, but I know that they respect my privacy enough to not check my wall, my friends, and my friends' walls routinely. I know that they are able to see the things I do on facebook, but I feel it would be really rude for them to invade our privacy because they felt that we needed to be punished. I just do not agree with that aspect of the video.

Overall, I believe that, under certain circumstances, taking away electronics would be a good punishment for the average 21st century child/teenager.

No comments:

Post a Comment