Sunday, January 20, 2013

Journal #27 - Defending My Country

I can imagine that the experience of fighting for your country, miles and miles away from home, is a terrifying one. Maybe you are hotheaded. Maybe you like to fight. Maybe you are so devoted to protecting those you love that you do not even notice the hardships you are experiencing on the inside. What ever the case may be, I imagine that there is always at least some amount of homesickness in the soldiers' hearts. If I was fighting for my country, far away, not knowing if I would live or die, I would be scared. I would most likely not back down, but that does not mean that I would not be upset. To be honest, I give so many props to the soldiers who fight every day for this country. They are sacrificing so much of their time and their lives to make sure that the rest of us can live happily and peacefully. Being so far away would be awful, especially for those soldiers with families. Whenever I look on the TV around Veteran's Day, they occasionally show commercials about fathers who are soldiers. They always have those really adorable clips of them coming home in their army uniforms and finding their loved ones waiting at the airport for them. The little girl runs up to him (I'm crying at this point in the commercial) (only not) and then the mother slowly walks up with the baby that - of course - was borning during his time in the war. Sorry about the little seque there. What I am trying to say is that soldiers are amazing. They risk their lives everyday and have to live apart from their loved ones with only letters, email, and skype to bring them together. It would be awful. In the end, I believe I would hate fighting for my country because of all of the bad extra aspects of it. However, that just gives me an even stronger respect for those who everyday are out risking everything for our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment