Friday, January 18, 2013

Journal #26 - Something Particular to This Area?

Immediately, when the question said "this area", I thought "...Springfield." You see, we live in quite a boring city if you really think about it. All we have going for us is the constant presence of corn and Lincoln related trinkets. What is the pride of our actual city? Our Lincoln Library and Museum. Sure, its really nice! I love going there! Its a very nice, interesting experience that teaches us a lot about Civil War history! And, might I add, who doesn't want to learn about Civil War history? I can actually think of a few people. Then, there's New Salem, and that is pretty interesting. Nonetheless, I digress. In addition to everything Lincoln about our city/town/area/region/thing, one other thing is very prevalent. Corn. Ah, yes, corn. I have been very bored at certain points in my lifetime, so every so often, I walk outside to admire the beauty of our flat, flat land. More often than not, I am greeted by the lovely sight of corn - whether it be flourishing and green, or dead and brown. Despite my allergy to corn pollen, I love the corn around us. Always changing. It also - not that I forget - reminds be of what time of year it is. Obviously, if it is tall and green, it is summertime. Seeing the healthy stalks all around me fills me with warmth and joy! You know, only slightly. Then, as I walk out of my house in early fall, I see the once life-filled stalks slowly browning, indicating that they are ready to be harvested. Watching the corn gets me through the year, in a way. I appreciate it. I have met so many people who absolutely hate the plainness of our corn fields, but I find it fascinating. So, between the corn and all of our Lincoln themed places,  I find that Springfield, where very uneventful, is one of my favorite places to live. Not that I have lived anywhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment