Friday, December 7, 2012

Journal #22 - Snow

Write about snow, you say? More like the lack-thereof. I have been wishing for snow since fall first started. I know snow is not supposed to come until Wintertime- it usually does not come until January or February - but I love snow way too much to wait. I do not know what is so great about it, but it is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. It is peaceful, and silent, and all around gorgeous. In addition to that, it also has the ability to get us teenagers out of school! Alas, I digress. Every time it snows, I am overwhelmed with happiness. It forms a soft blanket over the ground, all of the imperfections of the grass, streets, buildings, and tress being erased with a thick white layer. The air is crisp with the below freezing temperatures, but of course, you have a nice warm coat and scarf to hide behind. Snow makes memories as well. As I child, the only memories of being outside in winter I can remember are those of me making snow forts and having snowball fights. Unfortunately, the only snow we have been getting in recent years stays for about a day before getting all mushy and gray or melting away. People have been saying that this year will have a lot of snow. Well, it is December 7th and the only snow we have gotten is about a  millimeter of it on one slightly colder than normal night about a week ago. Oh well, the amazingness of the snowy season will come eventually. Maybe then I will have more to say about it.

On another note - a more english-class-like answer - snow is a very symbolic thing. It often represents death or sadness, but it also could represent rebirth and beauty. It is such a broad part of nature that it could be taken in any way: sad or happy, cold or dark, you name it. Snow is just an beautiful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment